Saturday, August 28, 2010

Chance...(Episode 1)

"Sure", I said and ended the call.

The appointment was fixed at 8pm. I chose to take the car out as it was raining heavily that evening.

I didn't want any second thoughts to haunt me. Radio One was of great help for some time, until it started to irritate. Tylor's voice was the remedy. 'I don't wanna miss a thing' was half way through when I reached the parking lot. I didn't want to leave the song half way. Two minutes later, I banged the door behind me.

It was 7:50.

Dr.Sharma looked at me in the eye and explained every bit of it. I got the prescription in hand before I left. Telling mom n dad was the tough part of it. They cried like hell. They couldn't believe that they were going to lose their only child in another one year from the day.

It was November 2009. The doc had said August 2010.

Had a long talk with dad a couple of days later. Mom kept crying and informing the relatives, while dad listened. I told my plan. Dad agreed. Couldn't believe that he did. Similar proposals had been made to him in the past, only to get a good scolding.

Things had changed...or rather... 'a thing' had changed.

Mom wanted me to talk to all the aunts on earth. I refused. One of them reminded mom that my birthday falls on August 20; and that made mom cry even more, wondering if I would live to be 25.

The next day, I quit my job. The 3 year experience letter, they said, would reach my residence soon.

I met a lot of people over the next few days. Partied almost everyday and drank like always. Many of our relatives had come as well. I heard them cry during the days and listened to rock till late night. This life existed for close to ten days...and then it was time to leave my two hometowns...Shillong and Guwahati.

On November 19, 2009, I landed in Mumbai. I had enough money and acquaintances to take care of myself.

...and I had that one thing which I loved the most...the one thing that defined me....the one thing that I trusted....the one thing that had got me to Mumbai to live my dream...that one magical thing called 'guitar'.

...and that's how 'Chao Kon Chang Rengma Borgohain' (aka Kon Chang) kick-started a new life.

2 comments:

Kiko said...

take som tym to clik on my icon, read my blog... wud be glad to hear som kikass suggestions frm ya... n though u write mind gaming stories, i try convertin facts in2 som readable material.. so wud be waitin for your comments...

Taniya said...

did i tell u before, that i m a fan of the way u kick start a story.......
diffrent strings lying here and there......that u tend to collect and give shape a para or two later.adored this one.....n have some reasons to feel this one closer to my heart, hv seen a frnd undergoin this......
and as usual...hats off
waitng for the next post